I have worked for many years in design related industries, a career path which has involved continual self-learning as technologies and communication methods have changed. From early days in print led communication, to web design and rich media delivered on tablets and hand-held devices. I also pursue an interests in Fine Art and music and regularly blog on design, art and culture.
As a design professional with extensive experience across web, multimedia and print design I have the ability to look at a project from the ground up and work through to an effective and highly polished design. I take a hands on approach to projects, with careful attention to detail, and have the ability to manage, motivate and inspire a design team. I thrive on creative challenges, and developing innovative, user-focused design and combine both creative and technical skills, to produce a compelling visual experience for users.
- Web Design and Development 75%
- Graphic Design 85%
- UI / UX Design 65%
- Project Managment 50%
- Early days were spent as a Typesetter and Typographer in Oxford publishing houses, which taught me about layout and design. I took this further and began working as a Designer / Artworker for Ad agencies in London and Australia. This enabled me to hone my design skills and experience with Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign and pursue a successful career as a freelancer in Graphic Design.
- Moving on in my career I studied Multimedia Design, at North Sydney TAFE, Australia and achieved a Distinction and NSW State Medal for work on a CDROM for students aged 12-16 on the Solar System. This led to work with Web Development companies where I developed my online design skills in web and multimedia, with a focus on interactive design and interface design. For example interactive screen elements for Woolworths online shopping, and full screen animations for Sydney Airport.
- Returning to the UK in 2006, I worked on contract for one year with Peter Jones ( Dragons Den ) in the Marketing Department producing B2B marketing collateral across print and web and managing a small design team.
- From 2007 to 2012 I worked for Oxford Web Apps ( formerly BOCC ) a web development company, specialising in high-end, complex web / mobile application development, web design, online marketing and hosting services. My role here as Design Manager involved taking client briefs, creating photoshop visuals, writing project specifications, briefing a development team, project managing and finally delivering the project and following up with training and support if required.
- Since 2012 I have run my own Web Design and Development business building websites in WordPress and creating marketing materials for my own clients. This has allowed me to develop my skills in building websites, and broadening my understanding of the development process. It has also given me the flexibility to pursue a Fine Art Degree with evening classes and self-directed projects at home.